Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas has pasted

Now that Christmas is over we have one week before normalcy returns. The kids are out of school next week. A whole week with nothing to do, they are going to drive me crazy. They are already doing it now. "I am bored" or "There is nothing to play with" are the most common phrases of the last two days. I have to say that it takes an inordinate amount of self control not to pummel the children with their "Guitar Hero". No, wow I had a great Christmas or I am so lucky to have any gotten anything at all. It is what have you done for me this second. I am sure I was like this as a child to some extent, but I am sure I would have had my butt handed to me. I don't require a lot of thanks or gratitude; however, I do think they could at least wait until the new year to start complaining. Now it is not as bad as it sounds, I am sure I am being melodramatic. Life goes on.

Here is an interesting story and a sad commentary on our society. A man at a movie theater watching “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” shot a man for talking, for talking!?!? Don’t get me wrong paying $20 to see a freaking movie is ridiculous. Hence the reason I don’t go to the theater. To take the family to the theater: $8 per adult - $16, $6 per child - $12, one large popcorn to share $10, four drinks $3.50 per - $14. $52 total not counting any candy. Plus I miss the movie if I have to go to the bathroom or get more to drink. Then there is the other people who I can’t get to shut the hell up. My solution is to wait two months and buy the DVD for $14.99, buy a box of popcorn for $1.50, and a twelve pack of whatever to drink; bringing my savings to a little over $30. Any way, let’s take a step back here. Shooting someone for talking during a movie is a little extreme. Is it just me or does this man need some serious psychological attention? Anger management classes at least. Complain to the manager, get your money back, or something. Shooting someone is so far down on the list of things to try, it is amusing. Not to the guy who got shot, but still funny. I think this guy should take a moment, while in jail, and ponder "what the hell was I thinking?!?!" The problem is he won't. We all know he won't.

The original story: http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/12/27/movie.shooting/index.html

We are supposed to live in a civilized society. Are we really civilized or are we just domesticated? This is a question I am going to have to think about for a while. I’ll get back to you with an answer.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment