Monday, February 16, 2009

The letters T and the D make different sounds

I feel I should apologize to my two readers for not posting for awhile. I do believe that damn LSAT took more out of me than I thought. Here are a couple of thoughts.

Number 1 is the title of the post. I understand the English language can be difficult to speak and to write. We have words that are spelled the same yet sound and mean something completely different. I also understand that I grew up in Oklahoma with a father that grew up in Texas. So yes, my vocabulary can at times be rather unique. My children on the other hand, spent time in Minnesota and until recently not enough time around me to screw up their speech. So I am left with one of two conclusions; either people from Minnesota are complete and utter morons or my children were dropped on their heads as babies. I am pretty sure my children were not dropped on their heads when they were young. Which leaves me with only one option, however if we do not mention it, people from Minnesota will not realize they are morons. On to the kid’s speech impediments, the princess pronounces her “Ts” like “Ds”. So “that” becomes “dhad” and “the” becomes “dhe”. One would wonder why this is so annoying, but you are going to have to take my word for it, it is. Both of them have extreme difficult with the two words: much and many. I know what you are thinking, what could be so hard about those two little words. I do not know. Here is a simple little quiz:
Which is correct?
a) When buying a new car there are many different options.
b) When buying a new car there are much different options.
My children for some reason always select option “b”. It seems that these two words are interchangeable. I am considering electric shock therapy. Would it be bad if I used the electrical outlet? I digress. Maybe I should move on to topic number two.

Topic number 2 comes from my work at the “evil empire.” This is going to require a lot of explanation for a short point but I have nothing else to do so here it is. At the “evil empire” work is divided up into what I refer to as silos. This is a very common practice, in which each silo has its own realm of responsibilities. This is not a bad thing because you create experts in a particular area and ideally that person is able to do the work efficiently and at a high level. This is the theory anyway. In practice however this is not the case. For example, I work in the SharePoint silo. My entire job is dedicated to SharePoint but only SharePoint. What follows is a very high level overview of my job. SharePoint is a single application that has a couple requirements: 1) the application must be run on a server (a really big computer, for the technically challenged); 2) a SQL server (a database application run on a separate server); 3) a monitoring product that scans the SharePoint environment and reports errors. Some of you may already be able to see where the problem with this system occurs. My application is 100% dependent on a minimum of three other teams, never a good thing. So here is what happened. We are having issues with server hardware failing and operating systems with errors left and right. So naturally the question has come up on my team on what we should do about it. We have had a number of meetings about these problems. There are really only two possible solutions: 1) We get the other teams to step up and do their jobs or 2) we go out of our way and completely reinvent the wheel. Guess which one the team has selected? Yep that is correct option number 2 because apparently responsibility and accountability do not apply to everyone. So now I am tasked with the incredibly stupid prospect of writing software to monitoring and report on our environment. Yes you read that correctly. I am tasked with building a new software program (one of which is already in place, except for the fact that apparently the team with responsibility for it are all complete morons, can we just get our own access to it and use it. Nope, that might be logical, we cannot have that). My teammates find it odd that I feel others should be accountable for work they are being paid to do. It would be a bad thing for us to question other teams, yet we are more than willing to bend over and do over and above what we are required to do for them. Oh well, I guess I will do their jobs and mine, too bad I cannot get paid for both jobs.

I cannot wait for yet another day in paradise.

Until Tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    PA has a different accent and dialect, but luckily now there's a mixture of OK & TX...

    L/M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are too long. I need a cliff notes version.

    ReplyDelete